Saturday, July 9, 2011

Squall Leonhart from Dissidia: Final Fantasy





As soon as I saw this Nomura/Amano hybrid, I knew I wanted to cosplay it, even before Dissidia came out. I thought it was such a cool version of the costume, much more interesting than the original design, and a good modern update to the character.




This ended up being my focus for the summer of 2009. Although it was really hot to wear around Otakon, it was very enjoyable, and a bit easier to wear than Leon.




This costume in fact made it into the Japanese Cosplay book, "Otacool 2". If you're interested in purchasing a copy, you can buy it here: http://www.jlist.com/product/YB075




For this costume, I actually recycled a lot of my Leon costume. One important thing of note is that the coat was a commission. I did not make it as I was crunched for time.




Later in the year, I thought I would challenge myself by making a glowing Lionheart gunblade. I spent a lot of time on it, scoring plexiglass and learning how to use EL Tape lighting. It didn't quite have the effect I was going for and there were several craftsmanship problems, but everyone seemed to think it was the coolest thing ever.






I had wanted to make the Griever a raised design but due to time constraints, I had to improvise a bit.




While it didn't glow overall the way I had hoped, it's still pretty cool.




I dunno why I didn't think to turn the blade light on for this picture. I think I was trying to conserve the battery for my masquerade performance which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeneMmOFp-k


It was my first masquerade performance and one of my most memorable cosplay and con experiences. Everyone really seemed to love it and people high-fived me all the way back to my seat.

1 comment: